Thursday, April 25, 2013

An interview with the one and only Emperor Qin

The questions that we all want answered

Sarah G. - Staff Writer

Me: How did you get to be emperor?

Qin: Well you see my grandfather was the king of Qin. However, my father had twenty brothers which meant that Ying Yiren, my father, was not crowned prince. As a result Lu Buwei, a merchant, came to Ying and saw a great opportunity to help out Ying. Lu fought for Ying and between bribes and arguments was able to crown Ying prince. As you know I was named Ying Zheng after my father. When I was twelve he passed away which meant that the prince would become the new king. Since I was the prince I had to become king around twelve years old.

 Me: Good to know. What was it like becoming a king at such a young age?

 Qin: Actually, I was not scared. My whole goal was to gain power for the state of Qin. I wanted Qin to be the strongest it could possibly be. My mind was also focused on conquering the other six states and reuniting so that China would flow together and less problems would occur. From watching my father rule as king I picked up on the way he ruled. I was determined to strengthen China and make it one.

Me: How did you strengthen Qin?

Qin: My main goal was to strengthen Qin. The way I could do that was by conquering the other six states. Also I focused on the rule of law. I rewarded the people, such as farmers and soldiers, who helped build up the economy and military. As time went on I became very specific and detailed with my laws in order to keep my people in line. To conquer the other states, I befriended the ones far away, and attacked the ones close by. After ten years the states near Qin were conquered. A little while after, I was able to take control of the other six states. By 221 B.C., I had formed the largest dynasty in Chinese history.

Me: It is said that you are a legalist. Is that true and if so what are your beliefs?

Qin: I am in fact a legalist. As a legalist I basically believe that people are bad. I am very harsh when it comes to my people. I keep a very strict structure on and control my people's lives to keep them in line. When people break my rules or do something wrong, they get punished. When any one of my people does something good they were rewarded. This gets my people to behave and listen to me because they know I will punish them if they do not. My control over their lives has made them work harder in battle and in the fields. If anyone talks about having a problem with the way I rule or says my ruling can be improved, they are sentenced to a death penalty. I run my empire the way I do and it works for me, so no one should have a problem with it.

Me: Did you make any changes to your empire and if so what were some?

Qin: I did make some changes. I made changes in the law code, censorship, land, standardization, and peasants. For the law code I made a new one that applied to everyone. I also picked people for a huge law enforcement group that enforced the laws on the rest of the people. I do not believe in education. People should be farming instead of reading so many books. That is why I burned all books except for ones involving medicine, agriculture, or medicine. Anyone who does not burn their books is sentenced to death or is sent to go work on the wall. I took land away from the nobles so that they would not become more powerful than me. If they argue with me then they get killed or get sent to work on the Great Wall. To make the empire one I had only one system of measures, weights, laws, money, and written language. Every peasant was assigned the job as either a farmer or silk maker. If they refuse or are too slow then I send them to work on the wall. If anyone has a problem with my changes, they will be punished.


1 comment: