Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day in the Life Journal Entry

Life During the Qin Dynasty

Sarah G.-Staff Writer

September 5th, 200 B.C.

Dear journal,

  It is 200 B.C. Life is not as exciting as expected since China is supposed to be "united". Today is like most other days, sunny and hot. This is the first I've been able to write in my journal in a long time. It has not been easy for my family. My father refused to burn his book on Confucianism and is now forced to help continue building the Great Wall of China. Every day he comes home aching from the work he had to do. I feel bad that I cannot help, but I am too young. At least he gets to come home to a meal cooked with the freshly picked vegetables and crops that my mother grows in the fields. I do not like the legalist system everyone has to follow. Emperor Qin is so strict and does not believe in education. My dream is to read, but I cannot do that because Emperor Qin burned all the books. Sometimes I just wish that I could live someplace where there are more opportunities for children like me.

               My mother tells me to stop complaining because if anyone hears and tells Emperor Qin, then I will get badly punished. I do not care if he finds out what I am saying. I could probably run the empire better. If I was King, even though I am a girl, I would be nicer to people. I would promote education and help with the learning of children. Everyone would be treated equally and there would be no legalism society involved. I technically should not be writing down my feelings because if anyone finds out, I will be in deep trouble. I have to look out and take care of my five younger siblings because both of my parents are busy. I am eleven years old and am already having to take on the responsibility of an eighteen year old. I have seen Emperor Qin's son before and I think about all the privileges he has. No one tells him he is doing something wrong besides his father. The food the royal family eats too, sounds big enough to feed my family of eight with left overs. However, I cannot change anything so there is no point fussing over it. Maybe one day my life will become better. If not I will get over it.

                                                                                                                          Sincerely,

                                                                                                                             Sarah G. http://china.mrdonn.org/qin.html

 
 
 





 



No comments:

Post a Comment